Wednesday 20 February 2008

The taste of photography

(my camera and I)
My first real joy of photography came about in 2006, when I bought my first digital camera. Gradually, photography turned out to be more than just a hobby or a way to unwind. It became a creative outlet and replaced my interest in other forms of Art (in particular pottery).

As well as learning about photography itself, taking images has provided me with opportunities to practice skills such as understanding perspectives, negotiating skills, problem solving and networking. Additionally the medium has made me more aware of the surroundings. Holding a camera in my hand equates to having a third vision. Through the lens of the camera I can see new details of familiar sites that I had failed to see previously.

The medium also works very well as a means of communication. Photo-essay is my favourite way of storytelling or conveying messages that without the aid of images would have been less effective and tricky to express.

With recent advances in photo-sharing programmes (e.g. Flickr, owned by yahoo), it is not difficult to share the passion and learn from others. Photo-sharing can potentially be a learning method just like any other peer reviewed process. Having the chance to view the work of many great photographers from the comfort of your own home can be a convenient replacement for visits to art galleries.

For amateurs like me, having one or more of your photos selected by others as favourite, can be a confidence booster. On the downside, joining a community such as Flickr can easily turn your hobby into a competition! Although, not taking disappointing comments, lack of views, etc. too seriously helps you to keep on enjoying sharing your photos and experiences with others.

My verdict? Digital photography is a detoxifying, yet addictive experience. Have you tried it yet?


© All rights reserved



No comments: